**Please note that social media and scheduling information on this page is confidential for the safety of our Scholars. It should not be shared with anyone who is not a parent or guardian of a Freedom School Scholar.
Site Coordinators & Contact Info
Asbury North UMC Broad St. UMC
Haley De Leon Joy E. Bronson
If you are interested in joining our Heart of the City Freedom School Facebook page, please click on this link. You will need to request permission to join. Permission will not be granted for individuals not listed as a HOC Freedom School parent/guardian. If your Facebook photo and/or name are different than your name listed in your Scholar’s enrollment application, please contact your site coordinator to ensure your approval on the Facebook page.
Field Trips are currently schedule as follows:
- Friday, June 24
- Asbury North – Columbus Museum of Art
- Broad St. UMC – Columbus Commons for Kids & Scioto Mile Fountain
- Friday, July 1
- TBD – Camp Otterbein Water Day OR Gateway Movie Theatre Summer Movies for Kids
- Friday, July 8
- Asbury North – Statehouse Visit
- Broad St. – Slate Run Historical Farm
- Friday, July 15
- Asbury North – Slate Run Historical Farm
- Broad St. – Statehouse Visit
- Friday, July 22
- Ohio State Campus Visit
- Thursday, July 28
- National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
We welcome parents and grandparents as chaperones!
Family Engagement Evenings
Family Engagement Evenings are hosted each Wednesday from 6:00-8:00 pm at our Asbury North UMC site (1586 Clifton Avenue 43203). This is a time for the entire Freedom School family—parents, Scholars, and staff—to come together and learn and grow together in community.
Dinner is provided, and so each week we request RSVPs.
Family Engagement Nights for 2016 are as follows:
- Wednesday, 6/22 – Getting to Know Freedom School Families
- Wednesday 6/29 – To Be Confirmed
- Wednesday, 7/6 – *Yoga/Line Dancing
- Wednesday, 7/13 – Yoga/Line Dancing
- Wednesday, 7/20 – Yoga/Line Dancing
- Wednesday, 7/27 – NO FAMILY ENGAGEMENT EVENING – Finale on Friday 7/29!
*This will be Yoga, or Line Dancing, OR a third activity each week. We will get this updated when our service partner confirms each of the specific weeks.