As the CDF Freedom Schools’ program is about supporting families’ goals of developing strong minds, spirits, and bodies of our current and future leaders, constant communication and relationship-building between family and staff is key! Heart of the City Freedom School aims to connect with families in the following ways*:
- Class Dojo – A phone app that allows parents to receive updates from their Scholars’ teachers throughout the day of what the Scholar is working on and how they are engaging at Freedom School. Parents will be invited to join their Scholars’ class by their Scholar’s Servant Leader Intern.
- Facebook – There is a closed Facebook group that families may join to see updates for activities outside of the Scholars classroom, and to interact with one another.
- Google Calendar – A Google Calendar will be shared with parents for each site, detailing the Scholars’ activities throughout the day, as well as upcoming field trips.
- Weekly Phone Calls – Servant Leader Interns (Scholars’ teachers) will make weekly calls home to connect with parents to update on Scholars’ progress in class. This is also a great time for parents to ask any questions they may have.
- Please always feel free to contact your site coordinator to share feedback, thoughts, and ideas regarding your Freedom School Scholar or the program.
*For the safety and security of all Scholars, please do not repost any photos or share any information marked as private with non-Freedom School parents and families.
Family Engagement Evenings
Family Engagement Evenings are hosted each Wednesday from 6:00-8:00 pm at our Asbury North UMC site (1586 Clifton Avenue 43203). This is a time for the entire Freedom School family—parents, Scholars, and staff—to come together and learn and grow together in community.
Dinner is provided, and so each week we request RSVPs.
Family Engagement Nights for 2017 are as follows:
- Wednesday, 6/21 –
- Wednesday 6/28 –
- Wednesday, 7/5 –
- Wednesday, 7/12 –
- Wednesday, 7/19 –
- Wednesday, 7/26 – NO FAMILY ENGAGEMENT EVENING – Finale on Friday 7/28!
Volunteer with Heart of the City Freedom Schools
Our Scholars go absolutely nuts in the best ways when they see their families at Freedom School—be it parents, grandparents, older siblings, or family friends. Please consider any of our opportunities to volunteer your specific talents and gifts, in any of our regular volunteer positions, or as a Read Aloud guest or field trip chaperone (all chaperones should be 21 or older).
Visit Us During Freedom School Program!
We are so thankful to you for entrusting us with your Scholars! As they are your children, however, we invite you always to visit with us for any or all parts of the day. You can observe in your Scholar’s classroom, or join us for lunch or afternoon activities.
We do ask that you make arrangements at least two days in advance so that we can alert all staff to additional adults on-site, and make certain that you are accounted for in additional arrangements (i.e. – additional supplies for activities, schedule changes). Thank you!